- Score: 8.3 / 10 Score of 26 reviews
All reviews are completed by our guests after their stay at the hotel Hotel Prins Hendrik Amsterdam.
Well established hotel
- + Decent budget hotel in great location.
- – Some rooms have awkward stairs
- * my tip Good bar/food next door
This is your gateway to Amsterdam, by bus, tram or canal boat.
- + Great location, if you arrive from Schiphol by train to Central Station, trundle your bags across the tram lines and the cobbles and you are there. Go out at night and the streets behind are alive, shops, music, multiethnic places to eat and the Aud Kerke. The breakfast is excellent and sets you up,for the day.
- – There are no non smoking rooms, the restaurant is popular but not great.
- * my tip Restaurant is not exciting except for breakfast. But go round the back and you are spoilt for choice. Our pick was a nearby Italian overlooking the canal.
Pretty good for central Amsterdam but with a few minus points.
- + Pretty good standard for a budget hotel in the middle of Amsterdam, with a good-sized room, decent breakfast (at reasonable times) included and the facility to leave bags on checkout day.
- – Hotel insisted on payment on arrival, despite having a credit card impression, which is a pain when you're about to get paid in Euros for a gig and want to pay with that cash to avoid having to take it home. Hotel charged 0.01 EUR to card on Booking, which is not advised and can lead to additional bank charges. Hotel insists guests hand in room cards when out of hotel and housekeeping also failed to check that room was shut, leaving it unsecured for several hours.
- * my tip As a former Netherlands resident, I would highly recommend travellers consider Utrecht as an alternative to Amsterdam - it has a lot to recommend it on its own merits, is also cheaper, friendlier, not full of the more annoying sort of tourist and only half an hour away from Amsterdam on the train (including night trains).
Clean and safe place to stay
- + Very friendly staff, clean and safe. Easy walk about.
- – Some noises from outside, especially people next building and passing. Make difficult to sleep sometimes.
- * my tip Ask room in front rather than back to avoid noise
A GREAT PLACE TO STAY.
- * my tip friendly and helpful staff.
Good Central location
- + staff is wonderfull and friendly
- – small spiral staircase to our room, glad we were on the first floor which is above a shop so it was on the second loor or third floor. But Thats Europe
- * my tip Be carefull if you have any Med. cond.
do not expect a great hotel
- + central location and nice breakfast
- – Towels in poor condition. Windows do not close properly and then very noisy in the evenings. Wooden floors - very noisy with guest walking around in their rooms!!!
- * my tip summer time in amsterdam is expensive. Do not expect great star service. i would recommend because so central location
Very good location and very frienldy staff
- – Noise levels from the street outside was very high at night
- * my tip Noise levels at night are very high at night, if weather is warm and your window is open
- + This hotel is the perfect spot for a short stay in Amsterdam. We used it twice in three weeks and each time we stayed for two nights. We felt welcome in the hotel and the front desk staff were very helpful. What was surprising (given it is a european hotel) was the spaciousness of the room. Would certainly recommend to anyone.
Comfort and service on a budget.
- + The manager was very attentive to our needs and put us in the adjunct property which was more suitable for us as seniors. Also he had the cleaner take us to the room (apt.) personally and he had the cleaner come to our unit at 5:45 a.m. to pick up the key so that we wouldn't have to walk to the hotel with our luggage at that time in the morning..
- – It is a less expensive hotel and the amenities reflect that.
- * my tip Will there be an elevator to your room?
Good for the money with a perfect location
- + Very friendly and helpful staff. Perfect location across from train station yet still quiet.
- – Poor showers, lack of extra towels, curtains that dont fully provide blackout at night
Save, close to ererythinhs!!
- + Very nice, sort distance to all cofeshop and museus, save and good Oranje juice! Thanks see ya,
Great location! Outdated interior, medicinal smell and uncompromising
- + Great Location, very good size of the room. Breakfast buffet had a good variety of food.
- – Outdated/dark interior and distinctive smell in the room - reminded me of hospital or elderly people's home. Strict rules at the reception, prevented us from having the freedom that is expected to be given of a hotel. E.g. No guests allowed to visit and our door card always had to be given back to the reception, and asked to be given to us everytime we entered or left the hotel.The window in the room was broken.We ordered to have double bed, not a twin bed.
- * my tip West Cord Hotel is where our friends stayed.,It is 10min. away by bus or central station of Amsterdam.Contemporary interior.The privacy that is normally expected to be given by the hotel staff.
Nice accomodation, reasonably priced in the center of the city.
- + The apartment is nice, no noise in the bedroom
- – There is no coffeemachine and no water cooker, so I could not prepare hot coffee or instant coffee
Charming in some ways , but not comfortable with smoke, and noise.
- + Location
- – Heavy pot smoking in environment of hotel. NOISE from nearby streets!! Single room horribly small and bath was clean but so small it was impossible to wash face or hands or shower without getting floor all wet!
- * my tip Bring ear plugs. If you have allergies to smoke or pot, don't go there.
Nice for the price
- + Good location, nice staff and good breakfast. The rooms are nice and big with a bathtub :)
Good value: Top location.
- + Very helpful staff. Very close to central train station.
Happy to return to the Prins Hendrik Hotel
- + Hotel is very well situated in AMSTERDAM
- – maintenance of the rooms needs more regular scrutini as some lights did not work and the hot water tap was a problem
Apartments are great!
- + My husband has insulin that needed to be refrigerated and they were accommodating providing an apartment instead of a room. It was great having the living area along the busy street and the bedroom downstairs int eh quieter garden area of the apartment building. The breakfast was nice as well. I would recommend the apartment. The bartender was exceptional in the bar.
a sensible place to stay in amsterdam
- + a nice clean hotel near train station
near to popular zones in central Amsterdam...
- + Near to popular points.
- – Lift is not good working, brekfast is not have enough choices for example not meat execpt porg only a kind chicken ...
Convenient and Comfy
- + Central location is very convenient. Our room was very clean and comfy. Bathroom was spotless and all in good working condition. Front desk staff was helpful and breakfast was very good. Front desk is covered 24/7 for safety and convenience.
- – Rooms facing the street are noisy. This older property is well maintained and has all the charm and the inconveniences of an older hotel. Personally, I find this a plus but my husband had some problems with stairs and close quarters.
not bad but not great.
- – took more money then they should have off my credit card.; and over the top rules as in told to not stay in the room during the day.
Good location next to railway station for quick visits
- + We received a suite in an annex for same price, having asked for the most quiet room. That was really quiet, and plenty of space.
- – The sofa in the living room was really crazy, it was not meant for sitting but rather lying in a 45 grade angle.
Good Location, Breakfast and Room
Hotel Prins Hendrik, Amsterdam good but a touch pricey!
- + Good central location, excellent for the train station. Very clean, and well maintained.
- – A kettle in the room with complimentary tea/coffee would be a nice touch.
Great Hotel, close to transport and city centre.
- + Close to central station and old city, but the hotel is so quiet. Good breakfast.
I would look elsewhere next time.
- + Location is fantastic. Near central station and the heart of Ams
- – Got a loft room. Looked absolutely nothing like the photos on the website. Cramped, small beds, average shower. Although the room was clean, the reception smelt like a sewer. I would look elsewhere again.
Relaxing and fun!
- + Just across from the train station, so it's easy to get to with luggage and close to the Red Light District and the Damrak. I have stayed in this hotel about 4 times now and it never disappoints. We had a lovely stay in one of their top floory rooms, it was very cosy and we felt like we had our own apartment. A very good variety at breakfast.
excellant locationfriendly staff. everyone speakes English
- + excellant location.near to central station, nice bars etc. .
- – pity the hotel bar was closed for renovation.
Good solid pick for a base to explore Old Amsterdam
- + Helpful peron at check in, good size room with wiht view, clean, great location
Great place to stay-close to train station
- + Wonderful hotel, close to main train station in Amsterdam. Rooms were good size, hot shower and generally nice and warm for Amsterdam in January. Breakfast was esp. good. Don't forget to try a slice of gingerbread!
- – A bit noisy from the street on a few nights, but hey you are in the heart of Amsterdam, right?
recommended. great hotel, great service, everything you need.
- + We had a great stay in this hotel. A great location, very friendly staff, it was a nice room, everything was clean, good breakfast,... everything you could possibly need for an awesome weekend in amsterdam. I would definetly recommend it to everyone who wants to have a great time for a very reasonable price. And once again, great service!
- – none. everything was perfect!
Spacious room , situated in the heart of Amsterdam's town
- + Very nice spacious apartment offered.
Very good location.
- + Location is excellent , friendly personel, it is safe and fine even so close to red light district. Very good if you have to take a train at central station for an early flight and you would like to take a nice walk in the evening in the historical Amsterdam. Lift is also available.
- – I would recommend them to exchange windows (to reduce voices from the street) and to reduce heating.
excellent for short stay
- + clean and quiet, near to city centre and Main train station.
- – switches for light
A rather well-located friendly place
- + Competent, friendly, flexible, relaxed, helpful staff. Pleasantly warm in winter.
- – I.Only 1 room key for 2 persons means that if one person leaves with the key (in order to get back in), the other person who remains must sit in the dark (although staff always stands ready to open if one has no key, it is a bit awkward).. II. Big flood on the floor after taking a shower because shower water goes through the shower curtain.
- + Helpful staff, nice break fast, near to the central station.
- – Stair case is narrow and steep.
- + Location Good value for money
- – Rooms are old fashioned and the mattress on the beds are too soft. No hairdryer Noise smell of smoke on the corridoors
Great location, great breakfast, friendly staff.
- + Easy walk from central station, very close to bars and restaurants, friendly staff, clean, baggage storage for late flights, delicious breakfast.
- – You ask for a double bed and get a twin - even if booked 3 months in advance
Worth by the price...
- + price, location
- – no friendly team, problems with hygiene in the bathroom
very comfortable and a great location
- + excellent location
- – a bit noisy from the street
Excellent location with few drawbacks
- + Location and price
- – Rooms facing the street at the back can be noisy
Very suitable and good deal hotel close to heart of Amsterdam.
- + Close to central station. Close to Center of Amsterdam. Close to shopping areas. Safe area. Hotel employers hospitality and kindness.
- – Lots of noise in the room.
Overpriced... but close to the action
- + close to station. breakfast thats included is good. The cleaners left our bong untouched :)
- – wifi isnt included in the price...and its a very expensive price. other hotels that dont charge has as much give wifi free. the guy at the front door sarcastic and somewhat rude.. and this is not very welcoming.
well located hotel with a good price
- + perfect located Hotel with a normal standard
- – More youth hotel stil then 3 star hotel
- + superb breakfast included in price
- – unfriendly staff
Best location and cheap price for a basic hotel
- + Very friendly and helpful staff, perfect location, decent breakfast
- – Cheap fixtures, some minor breakdowns, pretty basic accoutrements.
Central and clean hotel
- + - good location - clean - good services
- – - bathroom mirror is placed too high - there is no shower tray and water has spread all over the bathroom; because there is no slippers, sandstone is wet and cold - No mirror in room
Budget hotel close to red-light district
- + Close to Amsterdam central station & red-light district. Includes breakfast buffet. Spacious apartment (triple room).
- – One key-card issed per room. Small & steep staircase - difficult to manage large suitcases. Noisy. Bad smell in the foyer/kitchen-entrance in the afternoon. Smoking is allowed in the rooms. Racist man working at the reception desk.
value for money hotel
chet baker room -
- + nice, friendly staff, good breakfast, great location
Not as good as previously
- + In general good. I have stayed there before several times.
- – The bathroom fixtures were in poor condition. Sink did not drain well. Toilet did not flush well.
Very good location and breakfast.
- + Near to Central Station Room Wifi reasonably priced Great breakfast included Friendly staff
- – Room smells smoky Bed cover a bit too old
- + The full breakfast included in the price.
- – Some of the hotel facilities should be improved, f.i. the lack of an hair dryer
Good location, bad value for money.
- + The hotel has lift, which is rare in Amsterdam. It's in a very good location - opposite the station, and only a couple minutes walk to the very lively Red Light District. Despite this, it wasn't overly noisy. The night staff were very friendly and helpful. The reception staff are on 24 hours a day, which is good security-wise. I was also very happy with the service I got with Hotel.nl when booking this hotel. I shall definitely use Hotels.nl when I next visit Holland - many thanks!
- – The day staff (specifically an older gent) weren't very helpful, nor welcoming - we only got half the info needed upon checking in, and a stern warning not to smoke 'marijuana or hash in the room as there is an alarm, but cigarettes are ok'. I booked this hotel as there is an elevator and I am partially disabled, but despite the lift, there were stairs scattered throughout, and it wasn't very disabled-friendly everywhere (to get to the dining room would be a bit difficult in a wheelchair, for example). There was no safe in room. There was no hotel info in room. Nor was there any tea/coffee making facilities in room. It was very expensive for the standard of quality of hotel and service - a better hotel could easily be found for the same price. I will not be staying at the Hotel Prins Hendrik next time I visit Amsterdam.
- + It really is very close to central station which is convienient for late arrivals and early departures.
- – This hotel is under no curcumstances worth 90€ per night. I travel alot for bussiness reasons and I have never had such bad value for money. The room smelled awful. There were long black hairs in the bathtub as well as in the bedsheets. The sonoric insulation was awful. The person in the room above may as well have been sharing my room in terms of the noise pollution. There is a strange ladder like set of stairs right when you come into the room which is very unhandy when entering and leaving the room with a suitcase. The hotel gave an overall 'seedy' impression
as it should be
Great included breakfast starts the day off right.
- + The breakfast was excellent with so many choices. WiFi is available at no extra cost. Adapter plug was provided by asking at the front desk. Central location is an easy walk from the train that comes from Schiphol Airport.
- – Rooms are available at 1 p.m. so there were several hours between airport arrival and being able to get some sleep after a 10 hour flight. Some of my cosmetics disappeared so keep things put away and not easy.
- + The only plus point is the breakfast area which is acceptable. The other good point is just the location which is very convenient. This hotel can be upgraded if all the room furnitures are replaced by new ones especially the bed.
- – The whole interior needs to be brightened up abit. All the furnitures inside the room are old. The bed is not comfortable and bed cover looks ugly and damaged by several cigarette butts.
it's ok if don't get a place in nearby good hotel due to it's locat
- + good location
- – not cooperative on booking. eventhoug i informed them 24 hours ago that i\'ll check out but still they charged me for whole one day which i didn\'t stayed at hotel. it sucks!
Convenient, clean but a little noisy...
- + Very clean bed linen Good continental breakfast The front desk guy was friendly and helpful
- – 1. I had a room overlooking the lane at the back. The windows/curtains don't block out all the light/noise 2. The room door doesn't have a bolt lock - (although there were certainly no security problems during my stay)
Best location + perfect breakfast
- + Location Very Friendly staff Big room for the 4 of us The breakfast was amazing
- – To access the Quad rooms the stairs was tricky to get up especially with luggage but you will get used to it. The WiFi signal was weak but it worked sometimes
Good location but smelly old fashioned place
- + Location
- – Old, Not comfortable, Bad check in service, rubbish breakfast, smelly place
Poor quality lodgings
- + centrally located offering easy access to manty tourist attractions.
- – No double glazing or air conditioning. Incredible noise levels from the non stop Amsterdam streets meant sleeping was almost impossible. Taxis below bedroom windows leaving engines running all night. Bathroom had cracked tiles and was dirty grout. Room looked as though it hadnt been decorated for years. Opening a window required two people. one to lift the heavy frame and the other to place a metal pole under it to hold it open. Stairs are very steep and a death trap for the elderly or very young. Overall, I would say this is hotel would be ideal for someone who didnt intend to spend much time in the room. if you like your sleep, get a modern hotel with double glazing. The lack of air con makes it a very unconfortable night when it is warm.
Familiar hotel at Central Station
- + Friendly staff.
- – Lift problems.
Fabulous week-end in Amsterdam
- + Nice staff, good breakfast, excellent location, spacious room (4 persons)
- – Angle of stairs (too sharp rise)
- + good location nice rooms
- – wifi did not work
if you do not want sleep at night, this hotel is right for you!
- + near to railway-station and several sihgtseeings. Easy to find. Quite cozy, it was possible to leave suitcase in room before the room was available (cleaned). Thee was somebody in reception 24 h.
- – very, very loud. It was actually possible to sleep in the night only from about 4-6 o clock, when it was a little bit more quiet outside. The hotel needs double windows. I would not stay in this hotel any more, because the aim of staying in the hotel is for me the possibility to sleep, not only lie in bed and listen to trams and shouting outside.
Super location,but a bit rundownfor the price.
- + Location.
- – For a 3 star hotel way too dirty.
The second time here, definitely not disappointed
Comfortable hotel in good location
- + Reception staff were most helpful, particularly the young man.
- – Lighting in the room, and particularly in the bathroom, was poor.
Good location, good value for money
- + Location is excellent, service was good and friendly, breakfast is excellent. Price is in line with facilities and represents good value for money.
- – My room faced street, which was noisy, but half the rooms have to face that way I guess.
A good place to stay in Amsterdam.
- + Very friendly and helpful staff. Great that English speaking staff available. Good prompt service. Walking distance to Central station, shopping and main tram/bus routes in city.
- – Unable to minimise street noise in room.
- – Bad smell in room (from smoking?)
Disappointing stay in a wonderful city
- + Near the station which was why we booked it but the location of the apartment was very poor as it was impossible to sleep.
- – We were offered an apartment instead of a room, but accepting this was a bad error. It was VERY VERY noisy, so we could not sleep; it had NOWHERE to hang clothes, towels or anything. No bedside table. We had to live out of a suitcase in the living room as there was no room to put it in the bedroom and drape our wet towels over the chairs. The breakfast was VERY poor on 2 of the 3 days. There was virtually nothing left.People were wandering around bemused trying to find something. One couple walked in from the street to have breakfast, looked at what little was on offer and walked out again. The stay was very poor value for money. We would not stay there again and would recommend people NOT to go there.
Nice Clean hotel -Suggested unquestionably
- + That small hotel near the station is a very good choise for anybody. Clean ,cosy, good breakfast, polite staff.
- – In my oppinion was overpriced but it might be due to special period on 30 of April.
- + Great location
- – Room had stairs to walk down. Too many steps. Price a little too high Really a 2 star
Good location, friendly staff
- + Great location, close to public transport, friendly & helpful staff, especially in the bar & restaurant.
Horrible - over-priced and lacking privacy
- – Over-priced and loud. Internet only available in lobby - zero privacy and unable to hook-up laptop. Required to leave room key-card with reception whenever leaving hotel and then ask when want to get back. Room by alley and extremely loud until at least 2 am every night!! Over priced and definitely not deserving of a 3 star rating. Had I known what I know now, I would pay the extra $$ for the NH Barbizon Palace (~20 steps away).
too small too expansive
- – The room was very very small and the bathroom too. There was no free electric outlet. The lift doesn't work with more than 2 persons.
Centrally located, this is a reasonable but very basic choice
- + The location is very central and my room was surprisingly quiet for the location.
- – The room seems old and dingy (especially the carpet), although it was cleaned everyday. The bathroom has no place to hang a towel and is flooded when you take a shower. Especially the breakfast area I found very unwelcoming and basic. Dark, with terrible music, I got the impression of things just thrown together. All in all, I think the hotel is too expensive for what it offers.
good price-quality relation
- + Charming lady making breakfast! Pleasant service at the information
- – The noises from the street were so heavy during the night as if you had been self outside. Something wrong in the windows ?
Value for Dollar (Euro) (Pound)
- + Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great location and excellent breakfast.
- – Room 107 has a drop down from bedroom that will be very surprising the first time you attempt to go to the WC in the dark! LOL
great deal in off season
- + interesting layout; terrific bar; good breakfast
Very good value and great staff
- + Perfect location Super friendly staff
- – Room smelled of smoke
location is great, but thats about all.
- + location is best in amsterdam. 200m from central rail station, right amongst all the restaurants, 5min to the red light district and bars. location, location, location!! breakfast is very good also.
- – stairs! carrying bags up three flights of very very steep stairs. unless you get a ground or first floor room, think twice. unless you are a professional body builder.
Very Enjoyable Stay
Well located but poor standard
- + Good location near the Central station
- – No elevator.Steep staircases. Bathroom in need of renovation with stained tiled walls. Poor breakfast with for instance virtually no vegetables.
OK, but too expensive.
- + 1. Excellent location - central, near all transport facilities. 2. A big choice of food at breakfast. 3. Pleasant staff - spoke good English. They responded well to requests.
- – Far too expensive. In an English B & B (Bed and Breakfast) I could get most of what I got at the Prinz Hendrik for half the price (depending a little on the exchange rate). The PH includes a bar and a restaurant but I wouldn't pay a lot just to have these on the premises. Also, although the spread at breakfast was good, there's only a limited amount to what you can eat, and I would not pay much extra for more than my usual requirements.
Spot on for us
- + We had a great stay and would use this hotel again... our every need was met. When we arrived we found that the toilet would not flush. Went down and mentioned it to the receptionist. Within 30 minutes a repair man was up to our room and had it fixed. Thank you once again!
- – Not a minus for us but people may want to remember that this is a hotel right in the heart of the city - so it can be loud at all hours.
- + very friendly and helpful staff.
- – steep stairs, stiff bedsheets
Who is giving in Holland the stars for these hotels? It's like a joke.
- + Location is very good and the staff were friendly.Breakfast buffet not bad but the whole place is decaying.
- – Where to start? Room strange,no shower basin,water flows to whole bathroom floor.Bathroom door actually rotten on lower portion. No decoration of room at all.Be sure to visually examine your breakfast cutlery-many still had food rests on them.I think that's enough as writing these also makes you remember.Not everthing is connected with money.You should have in first place respect to peaple and the will to do things properly.
New Year 2008 - 09
good for the price
good overall experience over XMAS
- + centrally located.food very good.
- – no tea/coffee facilities in room. street noise.could have saved 60 euro if i had booked later.
Good value for money
- + Very close to main city centre attractions
- – Bedding smelled a bit of smkoining
- – We think, that we lost one of our gloves in the hotel. Unfortunately we noticed that when we were at home. Therefore, we sent after our stay in Amsterdam an e-mail wether a glove has been found but we haven't got any answer!
Great price/quality-relation in the city center
- + very friendly staff, cosy room, nice brakfast buffet in a pretty restaurant, located near the station and in the city center, a very good price/quality-relation for a 3-star-hotel, internet terminal
- – for the very nice prize we paid, I can not see minus points
NICE HOTEL WILL COME AGAIN IF WILL BE IN CITY
Great Location but expensive compared to others!
- + Location is great. Hotel had a place to keep bags before check-in and after check-out. They allowed us to check-in at 10AM! Breakfast was continental but more than enough. Bathroom was very clean and modern.
- – Room was freezing at night due to large crack in the window (and it being winter!) and we had no control over the raiator in our room. We had two single beds pushed together to make a double which wasn't very comfortable.
- + central
- – no soap and other accesoires, room was too small,
great hotel, great stay,
- + Good location Reception open 24h Nice personnel
- – Sometimes the elevator didn't function completely OK
Good, clean and friendly
- + Friendly, helpful staff Larger than average rooms for Amsterdam, great for travelling in / out of the city as location near the station is perfect. Often stay here for these reasons. Recommended.
Good for a weekend
- – Heavy smell of cigarrettes smoke in the room and beds sheets.
good hotel and the bat restaurant
- – the breakfast 3 points. the breakfast was the low quality and very bat presenting and dirty.
- + Great location from the train station, Breakfast was good. I would stay there again.
- – you can hear the people walking by outside.
Sadly a faded and rather tatty offering
- + The staff were friendly but hampered by a rigid policy when we alerted them to our problem.
- – Unlike the pictures on the internet and in the foyer, the room was very faded and basic shockingly below the standard for 150 euros - we got a cheaper deal at the five star round the corner and therefore checked out immediately.
OK, but just for some
- + Location and welcome
- – to expensive for the standard. Cosy but cheap
Very good hotel, would recommend to anyone
- + The staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are always very clean and well presented. By far the best hotel I have stayed in when in Amsterdam.
Great value for money in a good location
- + Great location across the road from Central Station. Very pleasant reception staff, who were very helpful. Hotel was clean and the bed was comfortable. Good value all round.
- – Breakfast was included but this was also a bit crowded and cramped into a small space. My room had a shower not a bath and the because it was a 'wet room' arrangement the floor of the bathroom was always wet.
Good clean hotel
- + All satisfactory
- – Room cold
loved this wonderful old hotel
- + The location close to the train station was a real plus. The breakfast buffet was very plentiful and good. So interesting to know that Chet Baker had stayed and died in this hotel. I love his music. Loved the church bells too. Would stay here again.
to expensive for this performance
- + directly in the city; good connection to train;
- – loud neighborhood; insanitary bathroom; light cover; bad breakfast
warm and friendly hotel
- + this hotel was very clean and friendly staff were all helpfull
- – i would have liked tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
very nice hotel except for manager
- + very nice hotel situated right in the heart of the dam, very helpful staff , very willing to make sure we had a pleasent stay, informing us of attractions available around the area
- – the only bad point was the hotel manager , who we thought was very obnoxious from the start, towel went missing from room, spoke to him about this, very unhelpful towards me, it seemed like it was an effort for him to look, not very customer friendly towards us ,
- + location; friendly and helpful staff
- – hotel itself could do with some updating
good location almost balances its bad service
- + held our bags no problem,great location.
- – breakfast poor at best, when handing over nearly 900 euro to the receptionist his response was to grumble about wrinkles in our legal tender 50 euro notes and tried to tell me that i was not allowed to keep the hotel pen that i signed in with. Small detail but very frustrating none the less.
Good value & great location!
- + Our 2nd visit and we will return again soon.This sums up our thoughts here.
- – None come to mind.
Great stay in Amsterdam
- + Location were perfect Breakfast all right
- – Room too ordinary Hotel need modernization Elevator out of order
Good location and friendly staff
Good location, mediocre facilities and service.
- + Very good location, close to Central Station. Friendly staff
- – No hairdryer in room. No stopper in bath or sink.
Great hotel for the weekday price
- + We were happy to stay in the little and cute hotel with the steep stairs, that gives some charm to it.Good price during the week, the room and beds was very clean. Sevice was exellent, every question was answered, every request was satisfaid.Thank You. Location can not be better.
- – Room price on weekends is a little to pricey. The room had some mouldy smell.
Warm and helpful staff, good location, rundown accomodations
- + The people at the desk and in the breakfast room were extraordinarily helpful and cheerful. Being near the trainstation is helpful (being in the Red Light District means noise and seediness).
- – Hotel and everything in it is run down, needs rennovation. Shower is just a curtain and a showerhead, so water runs all over bathroom, creating a safety hazard. Coffee is bad, even the espresso. Wifi should be free (and work; it didn't work for me but clerk nicely refunded my money)
great place, great location, great city, toke on!
- + hey, nice place, friendly staff, good breakfast, beer in the drinks machine down stairs, what more could a guy ask for!
- – i had to leave!
Decent hotel in prime location
- + Excellent location, friendly staff.
- – Breakfast service a bit disorganised, some items not always available.
- + Great Location.. but price and Comfort wise not great enough
- – To Noisy... as its on the main road, you can hear people shouting while coming back from the RED Light district.
well run hotel in central location
- + nice room, plenty of towels
Could imagine coming back.
- + The bed and the shower were good.The reception very willing to help at all times.In spite of the lively place in front of the hotel, the nights were very quiet.
- – The breakfast was not so good. The coffee was too weak and there was no bread with fibres in it. There was youghurt only one morning.
This hotel to increase loyalty must highly improve key issues .
- + location very good.
- – employees are machines. there are no smiles, just business sense. mix of guests generates a very poor service and attention level. no one told us there would no air conditioned. we had bugs at night in the room because we had to keep the windows open to let the air in. Its a 6.5 hotel.
Not modern at all, but silent and convenient location.
- + Near to central station and right in the middle of town.
- – Corridors are too narrow in case of fire and no view from the windows. Breakfast is rather poor.
Too expensive & Too noisy.
- + Location is very good, the Buffet breakfast was very good.
- – A lot of noise from outside keeps waking you each night. it was also very hot in the room no Fan was supplied when I asked for one.The price of the rooms were very expensive for a 3 star Hotel.
- + Good locations. Charming old hotel. 4 nights in this Amsterdam hotel gave us a good sleep and breakfast. After 2 days it became "home sweet home".
- – No complains from us. Me and my wife enjoyed our vacation.
Location and breakfast were great.
- – Beds were made that way: the bed cover nicely covering the sheets as you left them after getting up. Saw one medium size coackroach in the corridor leading to the llift.
- – The breakfest is ok, but always very crowed with no place to sit.
- + Near to most attractions
- – old building need to be redecorated,hair dryer is only avilable with a deposit which I saw for the first time.Hotel stuff is friendly though.
Low hygiene standard!
- + Good location, big quadruple room.
- – The room gave a dirty impression! The bed cover was filthy and dirty and it was not changed even if I informed the staff about it! The room smelled of smoke when we checked in. The breakfast was not good enough, there were not enough bread and ham.
- + Location
- – Noise
affordable hotel with great service in the heart of the city
- + great location, friendly staff, excellent breakfast service
- – weekend evenings in summer very noisy...it is in the heart of the action
will use again
- + excellent location,rooms clean, bed big clean comfortable good shower
- – breakfast limited range, stairs difficult
- + Good sized room Excellent breakfast facilities Very good restaurant on site with reasonably priced good quality meals Very convenient central location close to railway station, trams and waterbuses
- – noisy drunken person in early hours of morning on corridor
- + Good central location. Manager who checked us in was extremely helpful. He upgraded us to an apartment which gave us more room but it was a bit noisy since it was right above the restaurants and they had guest outside talking into the early hours of the morning! Location is excellent being 5 mins from the train station and walking distance to anywhere in Old Amsterdam.
- + It's own bar and outside seating were a bonus.
- + Very handy.- very comfortable
- – Breakfast Would have liked more variety. Toast mainly Eggs cooked etc
- – arrogant hotel manager
- + very central location
- – quite noisy (close to the station)
- + central
- – loud
- + Great Location. Huge Room (we had the triple).
- – No alarm clock in room.
- + The front desk staff was very polite and helpfull. Perfect location (close to central station and the banks/canals).
- – The room smelled of tobacco, the bed cover was not clean and the bathroom cabinet looked cheap and old. I had to ask for a blanket as none was in the room.
- + The location of the hotel is fantastic! Just a short walk from the central station where all the trams leave from. I and my friend received excellent service from the hotel staf :)
- – It can be a bit noisy, it depends where your room is in the building.
- + Very friendly, helpful staff. Good location. Good breakfast.
- – The price was a little too much, although I think ity felt worse because of the exchange rate with the pound.
- + great location to central station
- – tv and internet connection are seperately charged for and the internet connection that you can buy is so bad that it is basically useless. if you don't need to have any access to the internet, this is a great place. if the internet is important to you, you might look elsewhere
- + Very good location
- – there is a construction next to the hotel, (that is a little noisy), and because of that the photo about the hotel is slightly deceptive
- + Excellent location, within walking distance from train station and all the nightlife.
- – Stayed in a 3 person room and friends stayed in a 4 person room, access to room was via a spiral staircase that was quite difficult and dangerous.
- + Friendly staff, good location, good breakfast, I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel, it was much better than I had expected
- + Location is absolutely brilliant.
- – It would be great if there had been tea/coffee making facilities in the room, otherwise a great choice - would recommend.
- + large room for 4 of us. Comfortable and clean. Great location. Pleasant bar. Good breakfast.
- – Roadworks outside meant early noise. No problem Saturday and Sunday. Not hotels fault.
- + Location was great, very close to Central but not sleazy. The bar downstairs is great, small and cosy and wonderful food
- – Very basic rooms, they are clean though
- + Friendly staff. Ideal for central station, Damrak, tourist boats and trams. Breakfast good. Rooms clean and up to date. I asked for 2 single rooms together and this was organised for us with no problems.
- – Bathroom small. Stairs very steep. Rooms a bit dark, could do with better lighting.
- + I have stayed at this hotel on a number of occassions now and find it in an ideal location, very clean and the staff are very friendly. Any queries I raised prior to my visit were dealt with very quickly.
- + Security in the hotel is good.
- – No refreshment facilities in rooms.
- + room was very comfortable with a great view breakfast was great staff and owner very helpful and friendly would definately stay again
- – none
- + Very nice hotel, and so, I'm telling to my friends here in Brazil. Very confortable, good breakfast.
- + friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere
- – It would appear that they turn the heating to low during the day. During our stay the weather was snowy - we returned to the hotel in the afternoon and our room was just above cold!
- + Wery nice staff.
- – Smell in bathroom when not in use for some hrs. may be a leak from a drain or something.
- + location
- – having to leave key all the time. sometimes the clerk wasnt there and we had to wait to get into our room. also, check in was extremely time consuming
- + Service and people: really kind! Good breakfast. Big and cleany rooms.
- – Stairs? eheh
- + Receiption open 24-7, very friendly and helpful receiptionists. Main railway station in 5 Min. walking distance.
- – - extremely small room - bad odour in toilette
- + It was a very spacious and clean room, we only wanted 5 beds and there were 6 which was nice because i got a double bed :) breakfast was very nice and over all we were very pleased and look forward to coming back again in 2 weeks....
- – unfortunatly i 100% know i left my mobile phone in my bedroom because i was using it on the bed at 10:50am and we left the room at 11:00am and i only walk 50 meters down the road before i realsied i left it in the room, When i came back to get it the maid was in the room and had already made up my bed, im sorry to say it but i do beleive that she stole it as the mobile phone is a very unique one and cost in the region of Â£200. There is no way i can prive it but i was very diappointed that this could happen. Apart from that problem which cost me a lot of inconvienace it was a very pleasant stay and i will still come back to this hotel again and praise it. I hope you read all, thanks, JOSH
- + Good situation to visit old Amsterdam Price includes the breakfast
- – To much noise from the street and from inside the hotel
- + Good location next to Central Station
- – Construction right next to the hotel going to be lasting for the next few years woke me up early and loud. NO Free internet access but did find a site where I could pay. Taxi stand right outside my Window and people gathered all night. Very noisy.
- + Very central location
- – Unfortunately the hotel is opposite some major road works which spoils the view but it is still a nice hotel.
- + Location! Took me just 5 mins of walking with all the luggage I had. Room was clean unlike what I expected reading other reviews and there was no smell of smoke, in the room atleast ;)
- – The size of the room was very small and had just one bed. My stay was too short, I actually stayed there just couple of hours at night, so it didn't matter much, but for a longer stay, it might be a problem.
- + Room was comfortable and clean, bathroom was basic but adequate. All staff were very helpful & friendly - restaurant was superb!
- + very good location,central to all local attractions,bar staff very pleasant,hotel staff very pleasant.
- – hotel room that we were in was a good size but could do with being re-decorated,poor lighting levels,bathroom although we could see it was clean it just looked old and dirty,once opened bedroom door there was a very steep set of stairs before you got into the actual room.
- + Excellent location and Restuarant
- – Not enough toiletries in room and no kettle
- + location
- – needs a good face lift
- – To manny people are entering the room when we were taking a nap. and it was people from the staf. Even if we had put up the signs do not disturbe.
- + IDEAL LOCATION, GOOD PRICE VALUE
- – THE NIGHT SHIFT MANAGER VERY HELPFU
- – bad insulation and a bad smell in the whole hotel and in the room in particular
- + Location is excellent for travelling by rail, metro or tram.
- – No Internet service in room.
- – The room smelled of smoke and was quite dirty. Didn't feel comfortable walking around without shoes. Also, we had a private room but locking mechanism was inadequate for safety.
- + Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Really enjoyed the view of the beautiful old train station from the room.
- – Toilet & shower were in seperate rooms!
- + Excellent location
- – My husband is tall, (190 cm) and he hit his head in the smoke-detector!!
- – We had to arrange to move room after the first night as the windows were not double glazed and we could hear every little sound and did not sleep a wink.
- + Very good location, big rooms.
- – I didn't have this problem, but two colleagues had rooms that smelled strongly from cigarette smoke and they were told that there aren't separate smoking and no smoking rooms. This makes me hesitant to use the hotel another time.
- + - good enough breakfast
- – - no internet in the rooms - terrible smell of smoking in the rooms
- + fantastic location directly opposite the train station for all local trams and buses, one block from Damrack, one block from Red Light District; very clean hotel; 24-hour desk; good breakfast with wide, plentiful choice of food included in price; hotel has bar and restaurant next door--good prices; elevator (still a few steps to some rooms)
- – price was high even considering everything; the weekend we stayed was not a busy time and prices could have been lower; room furnishings are getting worn; ask to borrow the free hairdryer
- + Excellent location Room size for three people was fantastic Good hotel service - front desk were very helpful Good bar - good selection of beers Nice restaurant - food was excellent
- – Poor breakfast, could have had a selection of pastries, maybe another hot food selection (eg bacon or sausage, as there were only beans and scrambled egg.
- + always someone at the counter 24h/day. breakfast included in the price.
- – very narrow halls (on the top floor). no more than 1 key/room.
- + Breakfast including in the price.
- – Traffic noice.
- + I have pulled my luggage down the street many times from central station to "some" hotel many times. Not this time! This hotel is in a great location across the street from central station. The staff was polite and helpful. The included breakfast was just what we needed!
- – None!
- + great location, ok breakfest
- – street noise
- + location, friendly and helpful staff
- – cost
- – spiral stairs are a bit moody
- + good location, clean and large room
- – cheap on soap and shampoo
- + location of hotel is excellent with central station across road and restaurants, nightlife and bars within small walking distance.
- – rooms need small modernisation, carpets etc, Rooms at front of hotel very noisy with passing traffic.
- + Esta supercentrico, al lado de la Central Station, y justo enfrente una de las calles de Coofee's y el barrio rojo... A nosotros nos toco fuera del hotel, justo enfrente, todo y q para subir las escaleras eran algo vertiginosas.. era un primer piso, y sobrevivimos.. La verdad es q en conjunto, el Hotel-Precio, la verdad q con lo q se paga podría estar mejor, pero ya se sabe un 3estrellas fuera de españa.
- – Todo y que la higiene y limpieza no era del todo mala, podría ser mejor, pero vamos, q se sobrevive! La verdad es q en conjunto, el Hotel-Precio, la verdad q con lo q se paga podría estar mejor, pero ya se sabe un 3estrellas fuera de españa.
- + GREAT LOCATION, CLEAN ROOMS, LOADS OF SPACE IN ROOM
- – SOME OF THE STAFF ARE RUDE AND VERY UNHELPFULL
- + Comfortable beds and great location. Also it is relatively cheap considering the prices in other Amsterdam hotels.
- – The stairs and the church bell across the street. Also the window on the bathroom door but that's about it.
- + The location was excellent and the room reasonably clean. Breakfast was extensive with friendly staff.
- – Front desk service extremely poor quality and very unwelcoming. It seemed a bother to have any question answered. Room smelled of smoke, was noisy, very dark and uninviting.
- + very good location. few nice staff - the nice staff were younger and a lot less cranky
- – the 1st guy we met at reception wouldnt let us smoke in our room and he gave us a room downstairs right next to reception instead of the 1 we requested; we could hear everything at reception day and night and theres busy streets nearby. the floor wasnt brushed in our room. there was a blood stain on 1 on the bedsheets; i mentioned it to a different guy at reception and without even looking at me he said abruptly that the other sheets were "definately clean" and he denied us a different room. the bathroom was disguisting too - the mens was locked and the womens toilet only had a small hole at the front so when you left your business it was sitting right next to you till you flushed... absolutely disguisting! i would never ever stay here again. over priced, unfriendly and dirty. great disappointment, had a big impact on our holiday which was great in every other way.
- + Very pleasant and friendly staff. Super rooms, pleanty of room and very warm. Good breakfast.
- + Very helpful staff & an excellent restaurant. Close to Central station and trams. Very clean.
- + Close to central station, staff really helpful.
- – Single room abit shabby, but fine.
- + Your Security is fantastic!, allthough I had to get used to being questioned as to who I was, but it is great, as it was done in a pleasant manner Location the best Breakfast A-1 Kroonprins Dinner great! Neil and Bob
- – We had room #211 a front room taxi drivers were talking all night!! Next time will request a back room
- + Location, location, location... couldn't be more convenient.
- – *WAY* too expensive for the crummy drags, extremely noisy, and the room was so skeevy that I slept with my clothes on...
- + generous breakfast, very easy to get to and from hotel.
- – unpleasant smell in corridor, but room was fine!
- + Outstanding location.
- – Unfriendly head manager, but staff was friendly. Very noisy place, even on the upper floors.
- + Location is superb, we would stay again, staff were friendly and helpful
- – The stairs! I think guests need to be warned about the stairs before they enter their room, easily could fall headlong into the rooms!
- + good breakfast
- – pay when check in
- + Location is excellent a for getting around. Restaurant offers good meals in the evening at reasonable prices....saves walking back to your hotel at night!Included breakfast is plentiful and self serve.
- – Single glazing and noisy streets. Credit card charged in Sterling not Euros at a less favourable rate than I would have got through my credit card company,was not forewarned...guess that cost me about an extra Â£25!Bathroom not ventilated and VERY warm.
- + Our room (chet baker room) was good. Location to Central sation.
- + hotel staff - excellent service , very friendly, helpfull, profesional. I realy did enjoy my stay in Hotel Prins Hendrik and Amsterdam is just amazing city, I will go back for sure asap
- + Having read an online review we specifically requested a large room.
- – Our room was not in the actual hotel buidling but across the street. We did not feel particularly secure. Beds were small and the room was very poorly lit. The stairs were exceptionally narrow and steep. We had a really early morning flight so wanted to stay near the train station. Apart from that I would not recommend the location if your visit to Amsterdam does not revolve around the Red Light District. We found it very difficult to find a nice restaurant in the area.
- + Very nice staff, excellent breakfast, very nice bar, good location.
- – My room (140) was somewhat poor as to. 1) size, 2)no bedtable, 3)no bedlight, 4)general poor lihtening, 5)very small bathroom in which everything on the handbasin shelf was soaked with water when i had my showers.
- + Very good location, right across the street from the central train station. Somehow got a suite with 5 beds for the price of 2 travelers.
- – Shady operations... have to leave key at desk when you leave the building. Not worth the money. Didn't really feel safe.
- + Great location and a nice bar
- + Very central, opposite Amsterdam Central and right in the middle of many shops bars and restaurants. Rooms clean, English TV!
- – On a main road so can get noisy at night but if you are a heavy sleeper like me you'll sleep right through. Reception not always manned so can take awhile to get served.
- + the room was clean with a view of central station, the staff was friendly and very helpful, close to the red light district and lots of bars in the area, nice patio and restaurant, smoking room,
- – loud, small beds, was not sure if they used real egg in the free breakfast, a little expensive
- + Great Location, 5 minutes walk from Central Station and Canal Boats. Excellent Breakfast - plenty of choice and all options available even when busy. Friendly,helpful staff - all speaking excellent English.
- – Very steep stairs if not wishing to use the lift.
- + Location
- – Staff not helpful at all.You get charged the full amount of your stay prior to seeing the room,knowing well that you will not want to stay once you have seen the room.Room 324 not fit for human occupation.
- + Very close to the station and the centre of town.
- – Room was small. No double glazing so there was a lot of noise from the revellers in the street (it was wednesday night so I dread to think what it is like on a friday). No wireless internet in room. All in all not what I would call 3* more like 1* but very reasoinably priced for Amsterdam.
- + Short walk to central station, so easy access. Close to centre, canals and red light district(but not too close)many bars and restaurants. Good museums
- – Quite noisy during night from road and cafes outside
- – We stayed in one of the two Apartments. There was no kettle, cups, plates etc, availible to use.
- + clean, quiet, good service from the staff
- – bad beds. not very good tv reception. poor quality shower
- + The locations is excellent.
- – The room smells to smoke. The room is very noisy. We listen the people on the street. The breakfast is poor. We pay the room before we stay in.
- + The room was pretty big for 3 pax. Very convenient location.
- – No amenities in the rooms - No AC and no mini bar. Even the safe deposit box is charged which is located in the reception area.
- + Perfect location - right in the center of the Amsterdam's night life, good service at the reception, good breakfast.
- – Bad smell in the room, some stains on the carpet, general impression that the romm is not quite clean.
- + Very efficient check in and out. Also good booking by e-mail.
- – Terrible smell of air freshner when we got into our room. The room was a little shabby and could be updated.
- + + reasonable breakfast was included in the room price + good location
- – - no hairdryer (I am already so accustomed to get a hairdryer in the rooom everywhere that I did not even ask for it before)
- + good situation to visit town
- – hygiene not friendly service
- + Great location. Right accross the street from Central Station, Tourist Help Desk, Canal Cruises, and bike rentals (which I suggest). Very closeto the Red Light District, City Center, Dam Square, Ann Franke, Museums, Food, and Shopping. Oh and if there are three in your group ask for apartment 2. We had that roomed and loved it. Was not noisey at all and super spacious. It's two levels of living space; yes! Oh and they let us check in early (10:30 am).
- – The buffet breakfast was nothing to write home about. The room could use some new carpeting. We had a blown light bulb that they never changed.
- + reception and bar staff amusing,good english and helpful
- – breakfast does not cater for enlglish and restaurant staff surly.
- + there are none.
- – bad service' poor breakfast.
- + Friendly and helpful staff. Room for 4 was spacious and quiet; plenty of hot water for 4 showers.
- – Breakfast could have been a little better quality
- + Rooms for large families (5-6) Sheets and beds are clean
- – Central location but not double glasses at window meaning a lot of noise Breakfast room is gloomy and not very clean
- + Reception staff were friendly and helpful.
- – We had two rooms booked, 210 (Chet Baker) room that me and two friends shared and which we found quite satisfactory for the cost of the room, although some of the towels were stained. Three of my friends stayed in room 216 and were very dissatisfied with the room and the cleanliness. The beds were of poor quality and the matresses slipped about and the carpet was dirty and warn. We all suffered what appear to be flea bites, those in room 216 being mostly affected and we beleive we all got them inb that room, as the rest of us waited in there chatting etc. Breakfast was basic and not as published as being extensive and the staff were unfriendly and when eventually clearing the used tables, mearly swept any crumbs etc onto the floor.
- + Perfect location when arriving by train. Friendly people at reception desk
- – Old and worn room, noicy and poorly ventilated. Bathroom in desperate need of rehabilitation. General condition only 50% of paid price. ( Perhaps better standard on other rooms )
- + Straightforward hotel, no bells and whistles but excellent location, helpful and friendly staff, good breakfast with plenty of choice, a lift and clean bedding. Ideal for a short break in the city. Secure parking near.
- – None really. there are no non-smoking rooms (but staff gave us the least noticable one for us) can be a little noisy at night but no where near as bad as we were led to believe (to be expected in central location anyway)
- + Great location. Right in the heart of things. Nice little pubs and eating places. Very easy to get to other parts of the city.
- – We booked two double rooms, one was quite large and pleasant the other was very small. We only stayed for a long weekend, so not too bad. Quite noisy at night but we expected this so it didn't bother us.
- + Friendly and helpful staff
- – Room very small
- + The room was very good, large and comfortable. The breakfast is ok and quite good. The employers are friendly.
- – The stairs that are very small and high. But don't worry it is common in AMS.
- + Good space in the room
- – Unpolite personal, bad breakfast